How Not to Get Conned
The con artist's philosophy is
the gullible were put on this earth to be gulled. In the past, con artists were usually referred to as con men. This is no longer the case as more and more women have become involved in con games and numerous variations of con games.
You should always remember that a con artist can be a male or a female. In addition, many times the con artist will work with a child who will assist them in accomplishing their goal. That goal is to get your money.
Rules to Follow
Here are some good rules to follow all the time - whether or not you suspect a fraud:
- Be suspicious of high-pressure sales efforts.
- Beware of anyone who comes to your door asking for money for charity or for personal reasons.
- Don't believe in something-for-nothing offers. You get what you pay for.
- Get all agreements in writing. Insist that agreements be in plain English and not legalese.
- Read all contracts and agreements before signing. Have a lawyer examine all major contracts.
- Take your time; think about it before you part with your money.